Being "Good" at Science

Note: This will be another deviation from my usual theme of TV shows; don’t worry, I’ll be posting on Scrubs next time. Also, I know this is super late. Dr. Majerus, I’m sorry.


Over the past few days, I’ve written several college applications for tech schools. Beyond the general common app and “talk more about yourself” questions, the “why this school” prompt always pops up. Of course, this requires I visit the school’s website to find programs and professors to mention - and, beneath the colorful squares and optimistic quotes on science’s ability to solve the world’s problems, there’s [often] an undercurrent of elitism. You can either handle our complex curriculum or not. You’re either made for science, or shouldn’t even bother. You haven’t participated in fifty billion competitions and won at least half? You’re not a match for our “culture.”

To a certain extent, I can’t really complain - I technically fit their requirements and fulfill the mold of science student. My activities aren’t competitions and advanced math classes, but I’ve had enough success exploring the field to be labeled as “good enough.” My question is why we choose to define skills that are only temporarily significative as most important. Or, more simply, why do we use stereotypes of young STEM geniuses to declare the apex of talent for science when, in fact, those stereotypical skills are only marginally useful.

I’ve had several conversations about this with my dad, a UIUC professor of computer science. He mentioned that there is a discoherence between the students who do well in high school and college and how they do in grad school. Once you reach grad school, doing fast calculations, grasping concepts quickly, and solving problems at lightning speed kind of loses importance. Thinking deeply, researching well, and having the guts to fail over and over again (and still come back to work) take precedence. Succinctly, the tortoise wins the race. Now, he obviously mentioned that the best of the best are good at both fast thinking and deep focus; however, most of us are not the top 0.00001% of the population, and I’m not sure why 80% of science students have to be on the “fast” side.


Like any good scientist, he used orthogonal lines to describe this. I took the liberty of finding a pic and labeling it. Thank me.

So I don’t know, I’m obviously not an admission official, and I can’t declare what ppl should be judged on when it comes to determining their potential for STEM. And I don’t want to knock people who are good STEM students and fast on their feet - that’s awesome and should be celebrated. I just can’t help but think of all the ppl I know who are actually really talented at understanding and explaining scientific concepts, but insist that they’re not good at science or math. We shouldn’t dismiss their abilities - even if they don’t fit in within the grading and value system we’ve created.

Note: Obviously, not every person interested in STEM goes on to grad school and does academic science. I’m using that example because I know that 1) they are typically the first example that comes to mind when we think of scientists, 2) it’s the example that I know most about, and 3) academic scientists do end up doing research with the most impact.


Comments

  1. I'm not going in to a STEM field, so I don't totally understand the same things you're facing applying to these different schools, but I do think the dynamic is also evident in many other fields. I know that just in high school for example, people are often given more credit for having the ability to learn and do something very quickly, rather than putting in a ton of effort to really understand the subject, even if it does not come naturally to them and takes a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cool blog post!

    I've been amused how all the seniors (except DJ) seem to have blog posts about college/stress/college apps (not really surprising), and this is a really interesting take on that topic! I like the idea that our typical ideas of what makes someone "good" at math don't always hold up in the real world: it just sucks that those same ideas are what's built into the system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool post! I think that we often tend to define intelligence or talent within a certain field as falling within a pretty narrow scope of ability. The ultimate result is that we shut out people who could make significant contributions to said field. I think that you find this problem almost everywhere in the academic world in some way or another, but I think a particular issue with STEM is that a) it gets conflated with your overall intelligence (whatever that means) and b) there's the idea that people are 'naturally' good at STEM and don't have to work for it, which obviously implies that if you aren't good at STEM you never will be. Obviously, that's not true, but I think it's definitely a harmful cultural narrative that's been pushed over recent decades.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts